Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Favorite Books

I took the opportunity during the Christmas break (from school) to reread quite a few of my favorite books. I have lots and lots of them - but I thought I'd put together a list of my favorites and then see if anyone wanted to add to it and then I'd have some more good books to read during my next break. So... let me know what you think and make some suggestions!

The Shell Seekers - Rosamunde Pilcher - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! It has my favorite poem in the whole world in it.

Coming Home - Rosamunde Pilcher

Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maude Montgomery - Darn if I didn't always want to have red hair and freckles just like Anne with an E. I often repeat my favorite line of this story.... "this is the most tragical day of my entire life"

Anne of Avonlea - Lucy Maude Montgomery

The Scarlett Pimpernell -

Rainbow Six - Tom Clancy

The Bourne Identity Series - Robert Ludlum

The Eight - Katherine Neville - for all of you chess players

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

The Hunchback of Notre Dame -

Pride and Predjudice - Jane Austen

Twilight Series - Stephanie Meyer - I have added Edward Cullen to my list of potential "would consider leaving my husband for..." list :)

Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte? - This was the first classic I ever read!

Okay - so what are your favorite books? I'm sure I've left a few off - in fact I know I have, so I'll probably have to update this list!

And BTW... here is my favorite poem (maybe my second favorite, I really like part of Wordsworth's poem about Splendour in the Grass)...

September has come, it is hers
Whose vitality leaps in the autumn,
Whose nature prefers Trees without leaves and a fire in the fire-place;
So I give her this month and the next
Though the whole of my year should be hers who has rendered already
So many of its days intolerable or perplexed
But so many more so happy;
Who has left a scent on my life and left my walls
Dancing over and over with her shadow,
Whose hair is twined in all my waterfalls
And all of London littered with remembered kisses.
(Autumn Journal, Louis MacNiece)

William Wordsworth's Splendour in the Grass

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind...

4 comments:

Très Sucré said...

Hey! How was your Christmas? Mine was, yes, very busy. 1. With catering jobs, and 2. with hubby in hospital! He was in the hospital over Christmas, so that kinda sucked, but overall it was a good Christmas. How are you guys doing?

DJ and Gin Family said...

I'm lame and like to read "easy" books. I LOVE "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner. It was such a good love story. My Mom and sisters loved it too. Also, I really enjoyed "Pope Joan" by Donna Cross.

Natalie said...

Ok, you read all those books during Christmas break? Wow, either you're fast, or you seriously neglected your wifely and motherly duties.

Hmmmm. My favorite book ever is a hard one, because there are so many. Favorite is Les Miserables unabridged. Very powerful. Also a fan of East of Eden by Steinbeck, A Tree Grows in Brookly by Betty Smith. Anything Austen, of course. Hmmm. Oh, a facinating read that you will love is called "Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers." Very funny, and interesting.

Good luck with your book stuff!

S+S said...

I haven't gotten into poetry at all, but lately I've been wanting to read more. DO you have a good recommendation for a collection of peoms. Is it Wordworth that is good?

I cant' believe I have never read the Anne of Green Gable books. I love the movies.
Oh, you should go to goodreads.com and get on there. I use it a lot to see what my friends are reading and also to find books to read.